UCCEDD sees a society where all people, including individuals with disabilities and their families, belong and live healthy, safe, self-determined and fulfilling lives within their communities. This means that individuals with disabilities decide how they want to live their lives.
UCCEDD’s mission is to improve the health, self-respect, equity/equal treatment, and self-determination of all individuals with disabilities and their families. When people can lead the lives they want, everyone benefits. UCCEDD does this through education, training, working with partners, research, guiding policy, and sharing information.
The UCCEDD values:
- Following the lead of individuals with disabilities and their caregivers
- Civic engagement of all (for example, voting, becoming an official candidate for a board, speaking up on local issues)
- Preparing future professionals who will provide high quality support and services to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families
- Disability Advocacy & Awareness
- Plain and clear language
- Universal Design/a world that is accessible to all
- The power of teamwork
- Respect for all
- Diversity/individuals from different backgrounds and walks of life
- A responsible use of resources (for example, money, staff members)
- Setting and meeting goals
- Feedback on how we are doing
UCCEDD Inclusion Statement
The UCCEDD is committed to inclusion and respect for all people with disabilities, family members, caregivers, community members, trainees, staff, and faculty in and beyond our programs. Our work is strengthened by multiple perspectives, especially of those who were historically excluded, that derive from differences in race, ethnicity, national origin, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, family status, and age. We aim to build appreciation and respect among diverse communities through our policies, resources, and actions.
UCCEDD Inclusion Statement (plain language)
The UCCEDD is dedicated to inclusion and respect for all. Our work is strengthened by diversity. We support appreciation and respect within communities through our policies, resources, and actions